Definitely SQL Server Reporting Companies (SSRS) is among the strongest reporting instruments for a number of years. There are tons of options that you need to use to make a report that fits your prospects’ wants. Regardless of programmability and extensibility are key strengths of Reporting Companies platform on the subject of creating dashboards, SSRS has completely nothing to supply as SSRS is a report authoring instrument. So it by no means supposed to supply dashboards. In outdated days we may create net components in SharePoint or we may set up Efficiency Level and embrace SSRS studies in Efficiency Level dashboards. However, establishing and implementing dashboards in SharePoint/Efficiency Level was all the time a painful job. Fortunately with the brand new model of SQL Server 2016 we’re capable of pin visuals from current on-prem SSRS studies to a Energy BI dashboard. On this article I clarify how SSRS 2016 and Energy BI integration works.
While you meet the above necessities you possibly can pin visuals from current SSRS studies to Energy BI or you possibly can create model new studies and pin the visuals to Energy BI.
Notice: You possibly can solely pin report visuals to Energy BI meaning you received’t be capable to pin tables and matrix to Energy BI.
Notice: In case you don’t need to set up the developer version of SQL Server 2016 OR for any purpose you can’t use the developer version, don’t fear, the performance I’m going to clarify is on the market in different editions of SQL Server 2016. Certainly, the one editions that doesn’t help SSRS integration with Energy BI are “Categorical Version” and ” Categorical with Instruments” editions. Verify this out for extra info.
After putting in SQL Server it’s good to configure Reporting Companies. As configuring Reporting Companies is out of scope I depart it to you.
Notice: On the time of writing this text I used to be utilizing SQL Server 2016 CTP3. The identical rules apply to SQL Server 2016.
Notice: In case you click on “Private account” you received’t be capable to register Energy BI. You’ll get the next error message:
“Registering Energy BI ClientApp Did not register Energy BI shopper software. It’s possible you’ll not have permissions to register an app with Azure Lively Listing.”
The goal of this put up isn’t explaining the best way to create a SSRS report so I depart this to you. However, for many who simply began working with SSRS, you possibly can obtain Journey Works databases from right here. Then all you want is to vary the information sources to level to your SQL Server occasion then deploy the studies to your Report Server. On this put up I used “Gross sales by area” report.
Notice: Keep in mind to click on “Wok or faculty account” as your account kind in any other case you’ll get redirected to the “Register” web page.
Click on “Pin to Energy BI Dashboard” button once more
Choose a dashboard from the record
Choose frequency of updates then click on “Pin”
To this point you efficiently pinned a SSRS visible to your Energy BI dashboard. Now login to your Energy BI account and verify the dashboard for the SSRS visible you pinned.
- It is best to see a brand new like this tile added to the dashboard:
- Clicking on the tile ought to open the SSRS report in a brand new tab
- Return to the Energy BI dashboard. To alter the tile particulars click on on the ellipsis button on prime proper of the tile
- You possibly can both click on on the URL to open the SSRS report, delete or edit the tile or pin it to a different dashboard by clicking on the specified button
- Click on Edit tile particulars
- Modify the specified particulars and click on Apply
Notice: Keep in mind to run SQL Server Agent if it isn’t up and operating in any other case you get the next error message and received’t be capable to pin the visuals to Energy BI dashboard.
“We will’t pin to Energy BI proper now as a result of the service that schedules dashboard tile refreshes (SQL Server Agent) isn’t operating on the report server. (rsSchedulerNotResponding)”
As I discussed earlier than you possibly can unregister with Energy BI by clicking “Unregister with Energy BI” from “Reporting Companies Configuration Supervisor”.
Another is to revoke app permission from Energy BI Admin settings which is on the market if have admin permissions.
- Login to your Energy BI Service
- Click on Energy BI menu then click on “Admin”
- If in case you have Workplace 365 account you’ll see one thing like this within the menu
- Click on “View all my apps”
- Click on “Settings” menu from prime proper of the web page then click on “Workplace 365 settings”
- Click on “App Permissions”
- Now you can “Revoke” the “Microsoft Energy BI” app permission
Notice: Be mindful when you revoke Energy BI app permissions then the Energy BI consumer(s) will be unable to pin SSRS visuals to Energy BI any extra and so they’ll obtain the next error message:
“The report execution gwr25245qqb4pzqsplxvuv55 has expired or can’t be discovered. (rsExecutionNotFound)”
To resolve this simply open “Reporting Companies Configuration Supervisor” then click on “Energy BI Integration” and click on “Replace Registration” button.
Registering the identical Reporting Companies with multiple account isn’t doable so if you wish to register with a brand new Energy BI account then it’s good to “Unregister” the present registration then register with the brand new account. To realize this:
- Click on “Unregister with Energy BI” button
- Exit the Configuration Supervisor then reopen it
- Begin the service
- Go to “Energy BI Integration” and register with the brand new Energy BI account
Notice: The explanation for stopping and beginning the service is that should you click on “Unregister with Energy BI” and click on “Register with Energy BI” with out restarting the service, closing and reopening the Configuration Supervisor, then it SSRS registers with the outdated Energy BI account with out asking for brand spanking new account.
- Open Report Supervisor out of your browser
- Click on “My Settings” from prime proper of the web page
- Click on “Signal out” button
- Click on “Register” and enter the brand new Energy BI account credentials
- All accomplished! Now you possibly can pin the SSRS visuals to your new Energy BI account