WAGA Energy Pack: A Tanzanian innovation has made it to the UK Royal Academy of Engineering shortlist of the 2023 Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation.
Tanzania engineer Gibson Kawago is recycling laptop computer batteries to offer dependable and reasonably priced energy for electrical bikes, energy banks, photo voltaic lights, companies and houses. His innovation is WAGA Energy Pack.
The innovation is a response to Tanzania’s unreliable electrical energy provide and its impression on the financial system, security and well being.
- Fifteen proficient entrepreneurs shortlisted from Angola, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda and Zimbabwe
- Shortlisted entrepreneurs present modern engineering options essential to UN Sustainable Improvement Objectives – addressing water, healthcare, agriculture, training, meals safety, waste, and power challenges
- Improvements embrace a distant healthcare monitoring system bettering rural healthcare, a low-energy low-pollution cooking range, and accessible electrical mobility options
The Tanzania engineer makes his WAGA Energy Pack with recycled batteries purchased from casual waste collectors, together with ladies and youth, in 5 areas in Tanzania. The previous batteries are charged then examined after two to 4 weeks to verify if they’ll nonetheless maintain a cost equal to the producer’s commonplace. If a battery’s voltage has dropped, or whether it is corroded, it’s despatched for electrochemical recycling.
As soon as assembled, the WAGA Energy Pack is a set of lithium-ion battery packs with a power of 12, 24 and 48 volts, appropriate for various purposes, comparable to powering lights, home equipment and heaters. The Tanzania engineer then fuses the battery cells along with nickel strips, and connects to a battery administration system with sensors to watch efficiency and detect adjustments in temperature, present and voltage.
The recycled battery pack is enclosed in an aluminum case, with ports that may be linked to inverters, photo voltaic lamps and different chargers. The WAGA Energy Pack Professional could be recharged in as much as three hours and has a show displaying when the pack wants charging.
Kawago, the Tanzania engineer presently buys business battery administration programs, that are linked to a cellular app to allow customers to watch battery efficiency from their cellular gadgets. He goals to supply his personal system sooner or later, and to start out manufacturing his personal lithium-ion batteries, permitting him to make completely different measurement battery packs.
“WAGA Energy Packs gives energy to properties, emits zero carbon into the surroundings, and permits companies to maintain working after sunset. Relying on the dimensions of the battery and its goal, it will possibly present electrical energy for anyplace from 13 hours to 1 month. We’re striving to alter the lives of Tanzanians, notably these in resource-scarce rural areas,” feedback the Tanzania engineer Kawago.
Winners of the 2023 Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation
This yr’s UK Royal Academy of Engineering shortlist is made up of 15 African entrepreneurs and their pioneering applied sciences aimed toward environmental rehabilitation, training, and human well being and security.
The 2023 Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation shortlist represents ten African international locations, together with first timers Angola and Sierra Leone, and demonstrates the significance of engineering as an enabler of improved high quality of life and sustained financial improvement.
The UK Royal Academy of Engineering shortlist of improvements deal with challenges central to the UN’s Sustainable Improvement Objectives, together with clear water and sanitation, sustainable cities and communities, good well being and wellbeing, and clear power, good well being and wellbeing, and high quality training.
A number of water improvements are featured within the shortlist Africa Prize Engineering Innovation, together with a real-time water high quality monitoring and management system, an acid mine drainage answer to recycle contaminated water for human consumption, a transportable unit that makes use of fish waste to spice up manufacturing of greens, and a water administration system to stop extra borehole pumping and drying out of aquifers.
Power and environmental options additionally characteristic closely within the shortlist, with an influence pack with recycled laptop computer batteries to deal with unreliable energy provide, transformed motorbikes that run on batteries, an electrical cargo bike with a battery-powered fridge to cut back post-harvest loss, a system to assist put together waste for recycling, a cellular machine to create interlocking compressed earth bricks, and an ecofriendly cooking range that absorbs black carbon.
Moreover, a number of entrepreneurs shortlisted have pioneered options in well being, security and training, with a transportable hysteroscopy gadget for easy examination of the uterus, a distant healthcare monitoring system that information and transmits affected person knowledge, a multi-strain probiotic to enhance the intestine well being of chickens, a neighborhood rescue community connecting neighbours with the police, and a robotics studying software for kids.
Additionally Learn: Investing in Africa? Continent’s limitless digital alternatives
The Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation
Launched in 2014, the UK Royal Academy of Engineering Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation is awarded yearly by the Royal Academy of Engineering to bold African innovators creating native and scalable options to pan-African and worldwide challenges.
The shortlist of winners of the Africa Prize Engineering Innovation will profit from a novel bundle of help together with enterprise incubation, mentoring, fundraising and communications. The bundle additionally contains entry to the Academy’s world community of high-profile and extremely skilled engineers and enterprise consultants within the UK and Africa.
4 finalists will likely be chosen to pitch their improvements and enterprise plans to Africa Prize judges at an occasion in Accra, Ghana on 6 July 2023. The winner will obtain £25,000, and three runners up will win £10,000 every. A further One-to-Watch award of £5,000 will likely be given to probably the most promising entrepreneur from the remaining shortlist.
This yr’s shortlist Africa Prize Engineering Innovation be a part of the Academy’s 134-strong Africa Prize alumni community, which incorporates innovators who’ve achieved vital business success and social impression throughout the continent following their participation within the Prize, comparable to 2022 winner Norah Magero, and her transportable solar-powered fridge answer for transporting medicines.
Africa Prize alumni are projected to have an effect on greater than three million individuals within the subsequent 5 years, and have already created 3,585 jobs – together with 1,766 for girls and 211 for individuals with disabilities – and raised extra the USD 14 million in grants and fairness funding, immediately contributing to 12 of the UN Sustainable Improvement Objectives.
The Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation, based by the Royal Academy of Engineering in 2014, is Africa’s largest prize devoted to growing African innovators and serving to them to maximise their impression.
It provides commercialisation help to bold African innovators growing scalable engineering options to deal with native challenges, demonstrating the significance of engineering as an enabler of improved high quality of life and financial improvement.
An eight-month interval of tailor-made coaching and mentoring culminates in a showcase occasion the place a winner is chosen to obtain £25,000 and three runners-up, every awarded £10,000. One shortlisted innovator will obtain an award of £5,000 as ‘The One to Watch’.
To help innovation just like the WAGA Energy Pack by the Tanzania engineer, the Africa Prize is generously supported by the UK’s Division for Enterprise, Power and Industrial Technique and The Shell Centenary Scholarship Fund.
Additionally Learn: Medics in Uganda innovate transportable ultrasound gadget
Shortlisted improvements and entrepreneurs:
- Inexpensive AMD Resolution, Boitumelo Nkatlo, South Africa – A expertise to deal with acid mine drainage (AMD) utilizing industrial waste to recycle contaminated water for human consumption.
- Aquaset, Obed Zar, Ghana – A sensible water administration system that screens water ranges in boreholes and water tanks, regulating the speed at which water is pumped and stopping pump breakdowns and water waste.
- Arobot, Cristovão Cacombe, Angola – A robotics studying software for kids that have to be assembled and programmed to carry out particular duties.
- Digital Aquaponics, Flavien Kouatcha Simo, Cameroon – A conveyable fish farm that makes use of fish waste as a fertiliser to supply natural greens, enabling small-scale farmers to extend manufacturing.
- Electrical Mobility, Chukwuemeka Eze, Nigeria – An e-mobility service that converts gas-powered three-wheel motorbikes to run on batteries, saving as much as 60% on working prices.
- FlexiGyn, Edmund Wessels, South Africa – A conveyable gadget enabling gynaecologists to diagnose and deal with uterine well being points with out anaesthetic.
- MEDBOX, Emmanuel Ofori Devi, Ghana – A healthcare monitoring system that information a affected person’s important indicators and transmits them to medical doctors who then present distant medical recommendation.
- Multi-Function Earth Brick Machine, Fikru Gebre Dikumbab, Ethiopia – A manually-operated transportable machine to make interlocking compressed earth bricks utilizing 90%-95% soil and 5%-10% cement.
- ProbiGal, Dr Deon Neveling, South Africa – A bunch-specific multi-strain probiotic designed to advertise intestine well being and stop bacterial infections in chickens, decreasing the necessity for antibiotics.
- Sensible Inexperienced Range, Margaret Yainkain Mansaray, Sierra Leone – An environment friendly non-electric cooking gadget designed to cut back greenhouse gasoline emissions and well being dangers, slashing power use by 70%.
- Sensible Water Tech, Allen Chafa, Zimbabwe – An actual time water high quality monitoring and management system to deal with water borne illnesses.
- ThinkBikes CoolMAX, Tolulope Olukokun, Nigeria – An electrical cargo bike with a battery powered fridge to assist Nigeria’s smallholder farmers get contemporary meals crops to market.
- WAGA Energy Pack, Gibson Kawago, Tanzania – An influence pack made with recycled laptop computer batteries to offer dependable and reasonably priced energy for electrical bikes, energy banks, photo voltaic lights, companies and houses.
- Waste-to-Wealth Enhancer, Cletus Ekpoh, Nigeria – A four-part recycling system to assist casual waste collectors.
- YUNGA, Anatoli Kirigwajjo, Uganda – A neighborhood digital community linked by way of a bodily gadget utilising the Web of Issues to offer safety at a low price in under-resourced areas.
“Local weather change is impacting Africa extra severely than different continents, with agricultural manufacturing, meals safety and water assets being compromised, compounded by a weak adaptive capability. This yr, 11 of our improvements are contributing on to environmental sustainability,” feedback Rebecca Enonchong FREng, founder and CEO of AppsTech and Africa Prize decide.